Pages

6/13/2011

ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS BY STEPHANIE PERKINS

Anna and the French Kiss By Stephanie Perkins
Release Date: December 2, 2010
Publisher: Dutton Juvenile
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 372
Source: Bought
Buy this bookAmazon

Synopsis (from Goodreads): Anna is looking forward to her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a great job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. Which is why she is less than thrilled about being shipped off to boarding school in Paris—until she meets Étienne St. Claire: perfect, Parisian (and English and American, which makes for a swoon-worthy accent), and utterly irresistible. The only problem is that he's taken, and Anna might be, too, if anything comes of her almost-relationship back home. As winter melts into spring, will a year of romantic near-misses end with the French kiss Anna—and readers—have long awaited?

WOW!! I rarely ever get like this. Like what you ask? Well I was smiling, laughing and absolutely giddy after reading this book. I devoured the book reading it in two days and then I couldn't wait to review it. So here it is... I ABSOLUTELY LOVED ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS!!! I cannot say enough good things about this book.

This book was a runway hit. I would say that it is definitely up there as one of the best YA novels I have read. It was so good I couldn't wait to read it again. Stephanie Perkins captures what first love feels like so beautifully that you feel as if you are experiencing the flutters and heart palpitations of the main character as she goes on her journey. The story-line is brilliant and the romance between Etienne St. Clair (our leading man) and Anna is breathtaking. I could go on an on about how much I loved this book and how it gave me goosebumps and made me feel as if I was on cloud nine. It was so good you just have to experience it for yourself and read it.

As said in the synopsis Anna is shipped off to Paris to study by her dad who is a successful author. Anna now finds herself in Paris not speaking a word of French and it is no surprise that she becomes homesick rather quickly. Here enters Etienne and his friends, the best cast of supporting characters I've read in a while. They befriend Anna and welcome her into their close knit circle. The supporting characters are so well developed and layered that you are invested in their story as well. Anna and Etienne quickly develop a friendship that blurs the lines between being friends or something more.

The two main characters were phenomenal. They were well written and they were the main reason why I loved the book so much. Etienne St. Clair is as you imagine a leading man to be. He was perfect for lack of a better word and Anna is this sweet, wholesome, cool girl that you can imagine being your friend. Combined, these two characters made a rare and perfect combination, that is often tried but rarely accomplished. Their road was filled with amazing moments that made story magic.

Some of my favorite scenes in the book (and believe me I had to shorten this list because there are so many) are: Anna and Etienne first tour of the city together (my favourite), their shared flight home during break, their sleepovers (you'll get it when you read the book), their many trips to the cinema, their frequent emails which were sweet and all too real, Etienne's call on New Year’s (hilarious), and the Pablo Neruda poetry book (which is an important part in the story and I totally loved.. and got because I too have read Neruda).

All in all, to say I recommend this book as a must read would be the biggest understatement. As you have read earlier, Anna and the French Kiss is a real gem. I was glad to have had the opportunity to read it. Now go and get your copies people. Good books shouldn't wait.

Memorable quotes:

"So what do I wish for? Something I'm not sure I want? Someone I'm not sure I need? Or someone I know I can't have?"

"Boys turns girls into such idiots."

"Is it possible for home to be a person and not a place?"


Happy reading!!
xoxo

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful review -- and I agree with you. What's not to like? This book was incredible....

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved anna and the french kiss..I havent found a reviewer that hasn't accept maybe 2 but they gave it 3 stars :( but either way awesome review :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to comment!! I read every comment and appreciate them all!

Also please note that any negative comments, personal attacks or spam will be deleted. Thank you again for stopping by.

Happy Reading!