Pages

1/19/2012

CLASSIC COVERS

I am not the type to judge a book by it's cover but the cover art can inspire, entice, and sometimes become a part of you. There are covers that I still think about till today and some that I associate with my childhood. However nowadays there seems to be a homogeny of book covers within the YA genre but occasionally there are these special covers that I am about to talk about now. Covers that are beautiful and works of art that enhance the content of the books they cover (whether good or bad). So here are some covers that I have loved and have never left me.

Twilight
Love it or hate it the cover art of Twilight was simply put memorable. The image of an apple (forbidden fruit) presented in two hands against a black background was spot on. The symbolism and the graphic elements is what makes this cover so memorable.

Shiver
This cover is simple but drives home the point. The icy coloring on the cover (shiver worthy) and the different shades of blue branches is absolutely whimsical.

Sisters Red
I love optical covers and this one is one of the better ones. A picture within a pictures. It's cool, crazy, and beautiful all at the same time.

The Replacements
Creepy, creepy, creepy. The book and the cover art are perfectly fitted. The old school carriage reminds me of The Penguin (Danny DeVito from the Batman movies who was also a disturbed child). Every-time I look at the knives over the carriage I get nervous. Great cover.

Across The Universe
I love this cover. The opposite positions of the two faces is unique and the image of the stars pops right off warping you into superspace. It is so realistic it almost looks like the Hubble telescope images that we see from space.

A Blue So Dark
I thought the tittle along with the drowning image of a girl was perfect for the story of Aura Ambrose. A fifteen year old girl who is dealing with a mother suffering from a mental illness. This is a thought provoking image.. and the best covers do just that.

Hunger
This book is about an anorexic seventeen year old girl who becomes one of the horseman of the apocalypse, Famine to be exact. So the image of the scales is both poignant, gripping and great as an image.

Hunger Games
Again a graphic and simple cover that is both appealing and memorable. The central image is one of a golden bird with a circle around it (which is relevant to the story). The image of a bird in flight with a target around it is a mirror for the story of The Hunger Games which is why this image works so well. Love it.

2 comments:

  1. I love all of these covers! I bought the Replacement based on the cover alone haha. Still haven't read it.

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the Twilight, Hunger Games, Sisters Red and The Replacements covers. The rest bore me though. The exception being the Across The Universe cover which I think is so bad that I don't know whether to laugh or be bothered by it...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to comment!! I read every comment and appreciate them all!

Also please note that any negative comments, personal attacks or spam will be deleted. Thank you again for stopping by.

Happy Reading!