Pages

9/05/2013

The Dispossessed By Ursula K. LeGuin
Release Date: October 20, 1994
Publisher: UK General Books
Pages: 387
Genre: Science Fiction
Buy this bookAmazon

Synopsis (from Goodreads): 
Shevek, a brilliant physicist, decides to take action. he will seek answers, question the unquestionable, and attempt to tear down the walls of hatred that have isolated his planet of anarchists from the rest of the civilized universe. To do this dangerous task will mean giving up his family and possibly his life. Shevek must make the unprecedented journey to the utopian mother planet, Anarres, to challenge the complex structures of life and living, and ignite the fires of change.

This is the second book I am about to review of Ursula Leguin. I must say that there was a major difference between The Tombs of Atuan  and The Dispossessed. In this novel, Ms. Leguin's main protagonist, Shevek, is a scientist and there was a lot of science involved in the telling of this story. What did you expect you ask? I know, I know I should have known. But I have come to realize that this is a genre I must dabble in slowly rather than dive in head first (which I think I did with this one).

The story was simple enough and it's not to say that the plot wasn't interesting, it's just that Shevek is a scientist, going to his new planet for research (more science), and a he spends much time talking with other professors about... science. I felt a little out of my element as I tried to keep up with devices and theories. However, despite this setback the story was well written and the main character was muti-layered and commanding enough to grab my attention and push me from page to page. 

I love to challenge myself and I must say this story definitely did that. It was thought provoking and eye opening. The writing was strong, the character development deep and impressive. At the beginning of the story Shevek is a man in search of something he doesn't quite know yet but he is also arrogant in the way we all are when we haven't lived life. We think we have all the answers but we soon find out that life is a lot more complicated then what we perceive or believe. At it's heart the Dispossessed is a story of inner and outer struggle. It is masterfully told and Shevek is a character you won't soon forget whether you agree with his views or not. If you aren't a fan of science fiction, I recommend that at some point when you are ready to give it a chance pick this one up. Put your thinking cap on and enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to comment!! I read every comment and appreciate them all!

Also please note that any negative comments, personal attacks or spam will be deleted. Thank you again for stopping by.

Happy Reading!