Pages

12/20/2011

FIFTH DAY OF CHRISTMAS

THE ALHAMBRA PALACE, GRENADA SPAIN
Last year to commemorate the holiday season I made a string of special posts inspired by the Twelve Days of Christmas and this year it is back but the topic is new and I hope just as exciting as the last. This years the countdown will be on Novel Destinations. Stories where the setting was not just a mere back drop but an extra character in the story as well. So enjoy and let the fun begin:)
12 Out of Africa by Karen Blixen
11 Angels and Demons by Dan Brown
10 Quentins by Maeve Binchy
9 The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova
8 Hunchback of Notre-Dame by Victor Hugo
7 City of Bones by Cassandra Clare
6 Persuasion by Jane Austen
5 Tales of the Alhambra by Washington Irving
At first sight, Washington described The Alhambra as "a most picturesque and beautiful city, situated in one of the loveliest landscapes that I have ever seen." It was this that had caused him to write Tales of the Alhambra, a compilation of stories from his experience there. I have to say that I have been to Muslim Spain as well as The Alhambra and Washington Irving is absolutely right. I was in awe my whole trip there. The sheer beauty is enough to stun anyone and then there is the grand empire that once resided there adding to the history. The sense of calm, coupled with the beauty and history makes it one of the best places that I have ever been.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to comment!! I read every comment and appreciate them all!

Also please note that any negative comments, personal attacks or spam will be deleted. Thank you again for stopping by.

Happy Reading!